*This post contains affiliate links and we will be compensated if you buy after clicking on our links.
As a cat lover and vet, I have picked and analyzed the 3 best dry cat food options that you can feed your kitty. Without wasting much time, let me guide you through top picks.
- Best Dry Cat Foods
- For kittens and cats of all ages – Nulo Freestyle Chicken & Cod Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat & Kitten Food
- For kittens – Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food
- For skinny cats that are sensitive or have food allergies – Fussie Cat Premium Tuna with Chicken Formula in Aspic Grain-Free Canned Cat Food
Let’s look at them in detail:
Best Dry Cat Foods
One of the best diets for cats and kittens the Nulo pet food brand has to offer is Nulo Freestyle Chicken & Cod Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat & Kitten Food. This product is high in protein and probiotics to sustain the muscle mass and digestive system of kittens and adult cats. This is one of the best dry cat food on market.
Nulo Freestyle Chicken & Cod Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat & Kitten Food is also ideal for overweight cats that need low carbs and a low glycemic index.
How It Is Prepared
It contains deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, and deboned cod as its first ingredients. These proteins will help your kitten develop harmoniously and build muscle mass.
It is also grain, potatoes, and tapioca free. It has a disk-shaped kibble, making it easier for cats to chew it, and plenty of flavors.
It has added supplements to promote health and nutrition.
Nulo Freestyle Chicken & Cod Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat & Kitten Food has a minimum of 40% animal protein, supporting the good functioning of your cat’s body.
It has added minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, probiotics, taurine, and omega 3 and 6. All these supplements promote your cat’s health, including its digestive system, skin, and coat.
The low carbs and low glycemic index in Nulo Freestyle Chicken & Cod Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat & Kitten Food make it suited for cats that are overweight, diabetic, or obese.
Nulo Freestyle Chicken & Cod Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat & Kitten Food Guaranteed Analysis
|Crude Protein||40.0% min|
|Crude Fat||20.0% min|
|Crude Fiber||4.0% max|
|Vitamin A||2,250 IU/kg min|
|Vitamin E||300 IU/kg min|
Nulo Freestyle Chicken & Cod Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat & Kitten Food is a 100% complete and balanced diet. It is improved with minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, probiotics, and omega-fatty acids making it one of the best cat foods. A few key ingredients are listed below:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids
Vitamin C or ascorbic acid is a water-soluble vitamin that is needed for the growth, development, and repair of all body tissues.
Vitamin C has the following benefits for the body:
- It directly controls the number of adrenal hormones that are released (glucocorticosteroids),
- It has an impact on collagen metabolism,
- Influences the chemical structure of folic acid (vitamin B9),
- It controls oxidative cell degradation.
In addition, vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant agent, activating the detoxification of enzymes in the liver and helping to regulate phospholipid levels. It neutralizes free radicals and ensures the preservation and potentiation of the antioxidant effect of vitamin E over time. This vitamin also facilitates the absorption of iron in the digestive tract and helps the digestion process.
Vitamin E is soluble in fat, which means it is passively absorbed by the body and stored in the liver and fatty tissue for a short time.
This vitamin is a nutrient that supports vision, the reproductive system, and the health of the brain and skin.
In the body, it acts as an antioxidant, helping to protect cells from the actions of free radicals. In short, vitamin E slows down the aging process of cells.
Vitamin E also has the following benefits:
- It supports the immune system so it can fight viruses and bacteria.
- It contributes to maintaining the health of blood vessels.
- Cells need vitamin E to interact with each other and perform important functions in the body.
Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids
Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fats that the body cannot produce. They are also called essential fats, which means they must be obtained through the diet.
The benefits of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids are:
- Improve heart health
- Support mental health
- Contribute to the development of the kitten’s brain
- Fight inflammation
- Prevent dementia in senior cats
- Promote bone health
- Help to lose weight
- Increase immunity
- Increase good cholesterol (HDL)
- Help relieve chronic diseases
- An important source of energy for the body
Taurine is an essential amino acid that is normally found in animal tissues. Cats, compared to humans and dogs, cannot synthesize taurine, and it must be taken from food and supplements. For this reason, it is very important what cats eat because their body cannot turn fats and carbohydrates into energy sources.
This amino acid is involved in many physiological processes, such as 
- The metabolism of fats and carbohydrates.
- The process of detoxification of the body.
- The process of regulating cell volume.
- Other benefits of taurine are:
- Contributes to the absorption of vitamins and minerals.
- Supports cardiac activity.
- Maintains visual acuity.
- Contributes to neuronal development.
- Supports the circulatory system.
- Maintains healthy skin and coat.
Nulo Freestyle Chicken & Cod Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat & Kitten Food Pros
- Easy to serve and store.
- Improved with vitamin A, E, C, taurine, and omega 3 and 6 for healthy skin.
- High in proteins (min. 40% crude protein).
- Suited for diabetic or overweight cats due to the low carbs and low glycemic index.
Nulo Freestyle Chicken & Cod Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat & Kitten Food Cons
- Kibble size may be too small for some cats.
Always feed your cat according to its age, weight, and activity level. Pregnant cats may require up to 3 times the amounts shown below.
Adjust the amount of food you serve your cat according to its needs.
Always give your cat fresh water at will.
Feeding guide for adult cats and kittens
|Weight||7 – 13 Weeks Old Daily Feeding (cup)||4 – 6 Months Old Daily Feeding (cup)||7 – 12 Months Old Daily Feeding (cup)||Adult Daily Feeding (cup)|
|Up to 4 lbs.||1/2 – 1||1/2 – 3/4||1/4 – 1/2||1/4 – 1/2|
|4 – 6 lbs.||1 and 1/4 – 1 and 3/4||3/4 – 1||1/2 – 3/4||1/2|
|7 – 9 lbs.||2 – 2 and 1/4||1 and 1/4 – 1 and 1/2||3/4 – 1||NA|
|10 – 12 lbs.||2 and 1/2 – 2 and 3/4||1 and 1/2 – 1 and 3/4||1 – 1 and 1/4||3/4|
|13 – 15 lbs.||NA||1 and 3/4 – 2||1 and 1/4 – 1 and 1/2||1|
|For Adults over 15 lbs.||1 +1/4 for every 4 lbs.|
What do customers say about Nulo Freestyle Chicken & Cod Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat & Kitten Food?
I had my cats of this food for a couple of years and it kept their coats so soft, I only switched off it because my cats are getting older and the senior blend doesn’t have a flavor my picky eater will eat.”
“Love Chewy, Love Nulo!
The dry cat food I ordered arrived SO quickly, a couple of days early! My cats love Nulo!”
“No more stinky kitten
We adopted a kitten in June at 10 weeks old. She came from a rescue where she was getting Kitten Chow and canned food. Her belly was bloated and she had terrible gas. The vet gave her another round of dewormer and told us to keep an eye on her. The dewormer didn’t change anything so I decided to change her food. I kept her on the same canned food, but knowing Kitten Chow is pretty low quality, started with the dry food. I went with Nulo because the first 5 ingredients were meat. Within a few days the bloating and gas went down and after about a month she was all cleared up. She’s been on it for a few months now. She seems to like the taste and the bites are small enough for her little mouth.”
Our kitty loves this dry cat food. It’s healthy and made in the USA.”
I purchased Nulo with great anticipation that my 5 cats including 2 kittens would absolutely love the product. Unfortunately, none of the meow family will eat the food. This was an unexpected response since the reviews were mostly so positive. I had ordered the larger bag since I do have five cats. Now the plan is to give the bag to relatives that feed outside strays.”
“Cat refuses to eat
I did the mixing of old and new food. I tried this for a week and a half. Each time she picked out all the old food and left the Nulo.”
One of the best products the Blue Buffalo brand has to offer to kittens is Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Cat Food. Read below to find out why it is the best dry cat food you can offer to your kitty!
How It Is Prepared
It contains real chicken and has no grains, no soy, and no artificial flavors. It is high in protein and has added taurine and fatty acids DHA and ARA. This recipe also includes LifeSource Bits – a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Chicken Recipe supports the immune system and healthy growth making it one of the best cat foods for your cat.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Chicken Recipe has minimum 40% crude protein and 20% crude fat. It also has magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, taurine, and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids to promote the healthy growth of your kitten.
|Protein||40.0 % Min|
|Fat||20.0 % Min|
|Fiber||3.5 % Max|
|Moisture||9.0 % Max|
|DHA||0.20 % Min|
|Magnesium||0.14 % Max|
|Calcium||1.5 % Min|
|Phosphorus||1.2 % Min|
|Taurine||0.2 % Min|
|Choline||3,500 mg/kg Min|
|ARA*||0.06 % Min|
|Omega 3 Fatty Acids*||1.0 % Min|
|Omega 6 Fatty Acids*||3.5 % Min|
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Chicken Recipe is a 100% complete and balanced diet suited for kittens. This product is packed with minerals and vitamins, such as:
- And others
Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is a polyunsaturated fatty acid found in fish oil. It has multiple benefits for the growing kitten, including:
- Brain development and functioning
- It improves eyesight
Arachidonic acid (ARA) is an essential fatty acid from the group of unsaturated fatty acids. It is absolutely necessary for the development of your kitten, and it cannot be synthesized by the body.
Among the benefits ARA has for kittens are:
- Increases muscle mass
- Strengthens the immune system
Calcium plays an important role in the whole body. Although its concentration is higher in the bones and teeth, it is also found in some organs, contributing to their proper functioning. This mineral has the following benefits:
- It contributes to the regulation of the heartbeat, having an important role in the optimal functioning of the myocardium.
- It has a role in blood clotting.
- Helps activate enzymes.
- Permeabilizes cell membranes to allow the passage of ions.
- It directly influences the levels of some hormones, such as the thyroid.
- It significantly influences the health of the skin and hair, but also their appearance.
- It also plays an important role in strengthening the immune system.
- It is essential for teeth and bone health, having an important supporting role for the skeletal structure.
- Helps the development of the brain and its activity.
Magnesium is the fourth mineral in terms of concentration in the body, having an important role for the health of the body and brain. It has the following benefits:
- Ensures good digestion.
- Supports heart health.
- It is essential for muscles.
- Helps build a strong bone system.
- Supports the nervous system.
- It has the ability to detoxify.
- It has a role in blood clotting.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Chicken Recipe Pros
- No artificial preservatives.
- Easy to store and serve.
- High in protein.
- Real meat.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Chicken Recipe Cons
- It contains potato.
- The size of the kibble is too small for some kittens.
Make sure your kitten has fresh water available daily. Store the product in a dark place.
|Weight||6 – 19 Weeks Old Daily Feeding (cup)||5 – 9 Months Old Daily Feeding (cup)||9 – 12 Months Old Daily Feeding (cup)|
|1 – 3 lbs.||1/4 – 1/2||1/4 – 1/2||N/A|
|4 – 6 lbs.||1/2 – 3/4||1/2 – 3/4||1/4 – 1/2|
|7 – 10 lbs.||N/A||3/4 – 1||1/2 – 3/4|
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Kitten Food Review By Customers
“Lily loves it
My almost-year-old kitten has been eating this since I got her as an abandoned baby, and she is as sleek, energetic and healthy as anyone could ever want a cat to be.”
“Kitten loves this
I have a flame point Siamese who is very smart. He opens the cabinet door and tries to treat himself all the time.”
“Mosby loves the Blue Buffalo kitten recipe
Mosby is a picky eater. Mosby loves the Blue Buffalo kitten recipe and hopefully will like their adult food.”
Kitten has no interest in food. Her poop doesn’t like it either.”
“My cats won’t eat it.
One of my kittens was eating it but then stopped. Still trying to figure out what they will eat. Cats can be so picky.”
One of the best wet food for cats that the Fussie cat food brands have to offer to adult cats is Fussie Cat Premium Tuna with Chicken Formula in Aspic Grain-Free Canned Cat Food.
How It Is Prepared
It contains real meat and has no grains and no potatoes in its composition, being indicated for skinny cats that are sensitive or have food allergies.
It is low in saturated fat and high in vitamin B and phosphorus. It has added omega 3 and 6 for healthy skin and fur.
It has tuna as the first ingredient and chicken. This product is also juicy and your cat will never be dehydrated. It also supports your kitty’s urinary function.
Fussie Cat Premium Tuna with Chicken Formula in Aspic has minimum 12% crude protein and 1.4% crude fat.
It has high water content, and your cat will never be dehydrated making it the best cat food you can offer to your kitty!
This product is packed with vitamins, minerals, and taurine, supporting the good functioning of your cat’s body and organs.
|Crude Protein||12.0% min|
|Crude Fat||1.4% min|
|Crude Fat||2.5% max|
|Crude Fibre||0.1% min|
|Omega-6 Fatty Acids||0.1% min|
|Omega-3 Fatty Acids||0.12% min|
|Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)||0.1% min|
Fussie Cat Premium Tuna with Chicken Formula in Aspic is a 100% complete and balanced diet suited for adult cats, but you can also feed your kitten or senior cat if your vet recommends it.
This product is enhanced with minerals and vitamins, such as:
- Folic Acid
- Vitamin K3 Supplement
- Vitamin B12 Supplement
- And others
Folic acid or vitamin B9 has many benefits for the body. At the same time, folic acid deficiency can lead to various health problems.
Among the main benefits of folic acid are:
- Prevents birth defects.
- Supports the nervous system.
- Reduces the level of homocysteine – a molecule that is closely related to the occurrence of cardiovascular problems, atherosclerosis, or venous thrombosis.
- Supports the immune system – folic acid deficiency can lead to a weakened immune system and megaloblastic anemia.
- Works with vitamin B12 to form healthy red blood cells.
Vitamin K3 Supplement
Vitamin K is the generic name given to a group of substances that can dissolve in fats and oils (fat-soluble). It plays an important role in:
- Blood coagulation.
- Prevention of calcification of blood vessels (reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease).
- Bone metabolism (keeps bones healthy).
- Adjusting the calcium level in the bones.
Vitamin K3 is also called menadione. If vitamins K1 and K2 are natural, K3 is a chemical, being the synthetic form of vitamin K.
Biotin is also known as vitamin B7 or vitamin H. The main role of vitamin B7 is to help the body turn food into energy. Specifically, biotin supports the activity of several enzymes involved in the breakdown of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats.
Vitamin B7 has an important role in:
- Fatty acid synthesis.
- Amino acid metabolism.
- Gluconeogenesis – the synthesis of glucose from sources other than carbohydrates, for example, amino acids. Biotin-containing enzymes help initiate this process.
Biotin also has the following benefits:
- For fur and skin.
- In the process of lowering blood sugar.
- Promotes brain function.
- Repairs tissues and muscles.
- Protects the heart.
- Boosts immunity.
- And others.
Vitamin B12 Supplement
Vitamin B12 contributes to the proper functioning of the body, being an important nutrient for health. Among the most important benefits are:
- It is an energy provider – it helps transport oxygen to the blood, nourishes cells, and converts the carbohydrates in food into glucose.
- Heart protector – maintains a low level of homocysteine.
- Prevents anemia – vitamin B12 contributes to the formation of red blood cells.
- Contributes to the health and synthesis of DNA.
- It keeps the brain healthy by protecting nerve cells and forming myelin – a sheath that covers neurons and brain circuits.
Fussie Cat Premium Tuna with Chicken Formula in Aspic Pros
- Grain and potato free.
- High in phosphorus and vitamin B.
- Low in fat.
- Delicious tuna.
- Easy to serve and store.
Fussie Cat Premium Tuna with Chicken Formula in Aspic Cons
- Short shelf life after opening.
- Not suited for cats with kidney problems – it is high in phosphorus.
Feed this product according to your cat’s age, weight, and activity level. Make sure your cat has fresh water available daily. Store the can in the refrigerator after opening.
|Cat’s Weight||Food Amount|
|2 lbs. or less||½-1 can|
|2-4 lbs.||1 can|
|4-6 lbs.||1-2 cans|
|8-10 lbs.||2-3 cans|
|12-14 lbs.||3 cans|
Fussie Cat Food Review By Customers
“Great for diabetics
I researched all canned wet foods for one compatible with pre diabetic and diabetic cats. Mine would not eat the prescription types. But this SPECIFIC one NOT other flavors is perfect per their special needs.”
My cats only eat this brand, they have gotten spoiled and boujee but I would choose this over any other. Tasty, easy on their intestines and its good ingredients, although its pricey, its worth it.”
“Always a hit
Fussie Cat is consistently a favorite food for all of my cats and foster kittens. Almost any flavor works, but recently this one has been a standout.”
My kitty did not like this at all. So I fed some feral cats and gave some to a animal shelter.”
“Not for my fussy cats
My cats would NOT touch the stuff. I read so many reviews about other cats but my cats wouldn’t even sniff it, let alone eat it. I tried twice, to no avail. Don’t know what to do with the rest of the cans so I guess I will donate it to the shelter. So sad!”
If you have gone through the cat food options detailed above, you might have noticed that every cat food caters to a specific type of requirement depending on the cat’s life stage, sensitiveness, etc. The above list will serve as a guide for selecting the best cat food for your kitty. If in doubt, always contact your trusted veterinarian for more information.